Monday, June 18, 2012

Mindful Monday: Never Empty

Mindful Monday: On Monday's I'm going to share what's been on my mind. I by no means have any of this figured out, I'm just thinking out loud here.


I'm sure you've all heard the saying about the optimist seeing the glass half full and the pessimist seeing the glass half empty.  I received an email this past week with a new perspective on the glass I hadn't thought of before.  Sure, half full is better than half empty, but why only half? If you stop and think about it the glass is actually full to the top.  It's full of water to a point and then full of air, but it is completely full.  (Here's the full story if you want to read it.)

We can't see the air, but we know it's there.  Sometimes in life we need to step back and look for what we have in our glass.  When I need to change my perspective from half empty to completely full, I find it helps to make a list of things I'm thankful for.  Try it out for yourself.  Your list can range from simple everyday things you often take for granted to things you are choosing to be thankful for even when you don't feel like it.  There's no right or wrong way to do it, just start. I have more to be thankful for than can fit on a list but here's an idea of what my list includes:

Things I'm thankful for
sunshine
blue skies
thunderstorms
flip-flops
books
great friends
family
good conversations
laughter
wooden spoons
learning
second chances
health
a full fridge
the ability to come and go
a place to live while job searching
simple things
letters in the mail
sunscreen
summer breeze blowing the leaves
long walks
a kitchen to play in
aprons
time to slow down and reflect on life
opportunities to practice patience
freedom
education
a good deal
smiles
blankets
camping
stars
God's unconditional love
role models
the color blue
and so much more...

Food for Thought: "Dear Optimist, Pessimist and Realist, While you were busy arguing about the glass of water, I drank it. Sincerely, the Opportunist." -unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment