Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Weird Recipe Wednesday: Chocolate Chip Blueberry Peanut Butter Cookies

Weird Recipe Wednesday: Because some recipes are so weird I just HAVE to try them.  My curiosity always gets the better of me.

Wait, wait, wait, come back. I know these sound too weird but let me explain and then you can decide if you want to keep reading.  When I came across this idea I was skeptical too, but the author's description convinced me to try it.  Well, that and my curiosity and obsession with weird recipes.


Peanut butter and chocolate go together and so do peanut butter and jelly.  These cookies are both in one bite.  Peanut butter and jelly doesn't sound as scary as peanut butter and blueberry.  I was still a little iffy on the blueberry with chocolate, but I figured if chocolate-covered strawberries work then why not try chocolate blueberry?



Peanut butter, chocolate and blueberries can't taste bad, but I'd rather not have them all in the same cookie. The flavors came together nicely, but now that I've made them once I'm satisfied.  Besides, seeing how quickly I inhale fresh fruit, it's unlikely any more blueberries will last long enough to find their way into a batch of cookies. 


The cookies were soft and chewy but also a little greasy from the peanut butter.  My hands were pretty shiny after rolling the dough into balls.  The dough was fairly stiff and crumbly and could have used a little more moisture.  I had to work at forming it into balls and making sure each cookie would get a balance of chips and blueberries.  This wasn't a huge problem, it just required a little extra patience.  

If you're feeling adventurous try these with chopped strawberries and let me know what you think.  Oddly enough, I've never like chocolate-covered strawberries.  I love both strawberries and chocolate, but not chocolate-covered strawberries.  


Of course cookies with peanut butter, chocolate chips and raisins will always work too.  And any combination of chocolate, peanut butter and banana is sure to please. Mmmm, that reminds me of a peanut butter banana oatmeal raisin cookie I haven't made for a few years. I'll never get tired of making cookies....or trying new recipes, especially weird ones. 



Chocolate Chip Blueberry Peanut Butter Cookies
slightly adapted from Laura Lilling

Ingredients:
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup chocolate chips
3/4 cup fresh blueberries, washed and drained

Instructions:
* Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
* In a medium bowl, cream together peanut butter, sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in egg and vanilla.
* Add flour and baking soda and stir to combine.  Stir in chocolate chips, then gently fold in blueberries.
* Carefully shape rounded tablespoonfuls of dough into balls and place 2-inches apart on prepared baking sheets.  Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are golden brown and slightly cracked.  

Food for Thought: "That was the day she made herself promise to live more from intention and less from habit." source

No comments:

Post a Comment