Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Weird Recipe Wednesday: Peanut Butter and Basil Quinoa Salad

Weird Recipe Wednesday: Because some recipes are so weird I just HAVE to try them.  My curiosity always gets the better of me.

I haven't been able to get the idea of peanut butter and basil out of my head since I saw this Peanut Butter and Basil Sandwich.  A million weird ideas are floating around my head. In fact, they're probably too weird to share with you right now.  Instead, I'll introduce you to this flavor combination in a dish that's a little  more normal.  (After it grows on you I'll utilize this duo in an application even I consider weird.)  



Earthy flavors from the carrot, quinoa and basil mingle with a creamy peanut butter dressing. Peanut butter enhances the nuttiness of the quinoa while cutting the heat from the red pepper flakes.  Cool, crunchy cucumbers and bright orange carrots add texture and color while balancing the flavors of the dressing.


Personally, I would up both the peanut butter and basil flavors. A hint of ginger would also work well with this dish.  Unfortunately, my little basil plant needs some time to recuperate.  I guess I'll have to wait for another day to try out all my crazy peanut butter and basil ideas.      


Peanut Butter and Basil Quinoa Salad
adapted from Vegangela

Ingredients:
3 Tbsp creamy peanut butter
3 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 clove garlic, minced
3 cups cooked quinoa
1 cup seeded and finely diced cucumber
2 carrots, julienned
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
salt, optional

Instructions:
* In a small bowl, whisk together peanut butter, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce and crushed red pepper flakes; set aside.
*In a medium bowl, combine quinoa, cucumber, carrots and basil.  Pour dressing over top and toss to coat.  Refrigerate 30 minutes before serving. Season to taste with salt.

Food for Thought: "Expectation is the root of all heartache." -Shakespeare

1 comment:

  1. I don't have any quinoa on hand, might have to try it with rice. Also: I love your quote for the day. Well, I don't love it, but it sure rings true.

    ReplyDelete