Monday, October 22, 2012

Mindful Monday: Random and Probably Useless Facts


Mindful Monday: On Monday's I'm going to share what's been on my mind. I by no means have any of this figured out, I'm just thinking out loud here.

I haven't done one of these completely random fact posts for a while, so here goes.  Below are  some random tidbits that have come up in conversations lately or things that have wandered across my mind.  It's highly doubtful you will ever need to know this information, but it can't hurt.  Besides, you should learn at least one new thing each day. 

1. On Friday I commented on how freezers can burn but not bake. Ironically, I soon learned about a new type of freezer burn.  Apparently ice makers have a heating element that gets hot enough to burn unsuspecting hands reaching in to fix the ice machine.  Why a heating coil in an ice maker?  Good question. The heating coil kicks in after the cubes have been frozen.  A little water is melted in order to loosen the frozen cubes from the molds.  

2. When staining wood it used to be popular to include a layer of speckled paint.  This was supposed to give the piece an antique look.  I think it makes the kitchen table look like it was stained and then speckled with paint.  At least it's in a dark color so one doesn't notice it unless they space out and stare at the table. Not that that would ever happen.  

3. I haven't done the limbo for a long time.  I have no idea why that came to mind earlier, but it did.  Interestingly enough, the limbo bar used to be raised higher each round rather than lower. 

4.  A whole egg, shell and all, used to be used when making coffee.  My grandma claims it makes the best coffee you've ever had.  The egg does something to improve clarity and bitterness.  I'll have to look into this and maybe try it out for myself.  I guess I've tried weirder things, and I eat cookie dough with raw eggs.  Yet somehow the idea of an egg in with the coffee grounds just doesn't have appeal. 

5. Some people dream in black and white but the dream I had the other night was in the most vivid colors ever.  Unfortunately, that's all I can remember about it.  I love it when I wake up from a super crazy dream and try to piece the story back together.  Wouldn't it be strange if we could record our dreams and  replay them when we woke up?

6. I just realized that quesadilla contains the word queso, the Spanish word for cheese.  That would make sense seeing as a quesadilla is a tortilla filled with queso.  How on earth did I just notice that for the first time?

7.  That reminds me of the time a college roommate of mine said she had trouble remembering which way was horizontal and which was was vertical. I then pointed out that horizontal is the same direction as the horizon and it totally clicked for her.  Funny how the things become so familiar we can look right past them.

8. Does anyone want to come over for egg coffee and discuss pieces of our dreams while sitting at a speckled wood table eating quesadillas made with cheese melted by an ice maker? We can do the limbo under the horizon if the cheese won't melt.

9. You should probably stop reading and go do something more productive.  Bonus points if you can incorporate any of this stuff into real life, especially on a Monday morning. 

Food for Thought: "Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young." -Henry Ford



2 comments:

  1. 4. http://scandinavianfood.about.com/od/beverages/r/eggcoffee.htm

    8. Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll have to try that together sometime.
    (The coffee part anyway)

    ReplyDelete