Monday, December 24, 2012

Mindful Monday: Birthday Wonder

Mindful Monday: On Monday's I'm going to share what's been on my mind. I by no means have any of this figured out, I'm just thinking out loud here.

Somehow in all the Christmas rush I completely forgot about today's post.  How can I be so wrapped up in the festivities that I forget to slow down and be mindful of the true meaning of Christmas?

When my brother and I were younger my mom used to invite all the neighborhood kids over for a birthday party for Jesus.  I have to wonder, what did Mary tell Jesus about the night of his birth?

Did she tell him they placed him in a manger because there was no room inside?

Did Mary and Joseph reveal what the angel told them about Jesus being a king?

Did they talk with Jesus about the virgin birth?

How did she explain the shepherds and angels?

What about the wise men and the star? Did she explain the gifts they gave? Did she understand them herself?

Did she ever mention the danger they were in as Herod searched for them trying to kill her baby?

Did they celebrate his birthday each year with gifts and a party while Mary retold the story of that first night?

How much did Mary and Joseph understand themselves?

I love the verse that says, "Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart." (Luke 2:19) She did have a lot to ponder, didn't she?

I encourage you to take time to read and ponder the Christmas story for yourself this year.  You can find it in Matthew 1:18- 2:23Luke 1:26-38 and Luke 2:1-21.

Food for Thought: The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel- which means, 'God with us.'  -Matthew 1:23 
And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. -Isaiah 9:6

No comments:

Post a Comment