Monday, December 17, 2012

Mindful Monday: A Little More Randomness

Mindful Monday: On Monday's I'm going to share what's been on my mind. I by no means have any of this figured out, I'm just thinking out loud here.

Hmmm...I feel like it's time for another random post.  Ready?

1. The French term pate a choux, pronounced pot-a-shoo, means 'cabbage paste,' and refers to the fact that cream puff pastries look like little cabbages.

2. Last Friday I attended my brother's college graduation ceremony.  As each graduate walked across the stage the announcer shared the student's favorite college memory or plans for the future.  At first I thought, 'no way, they're doing this for every single student...this will take forever,' but it was actually quite entertaining.  I enjoyed the extremes of responses.  There was the typical, 'I plan to get a job or go to grad school,' response along with a few more hopeful individuals planning to become president and change the world.  My favorite was the kid whose plans involved eating a cheeseburger for supper then celebrating Christmas.

3.  Speaking of Christmas, how is it possibly just one week away?  I have, ummm, just a few things left to do.

4. Computers, ugh.  My computer crashed and has now been rendered unconscious.  If it ever regains consciousness it may have amnesia.  Everything since high school gone in the flash of a screen.  We'll have to see how that turns out.  Thankfully, I can use our family computer until I get a further diagnosis.

5. Render can mean to cause or become (as in rendered unconscious), and it can mean to extract by melting (as in rendering lard).

6.  Just reading this book makes me excited. Did you know that if you cream the fat and sugar too quickly in the first stage of a cake, you won't form the proper cell structure to hold water?  Baking is such a science and there is so much yet to learn and practice.  The more you know, the more you realize you don't know.

7. The number on a pomegranate sticker is 3127.  Actually, that's only the number for a medium pomegranate.  Different sizes of the same fruit have different numbers.

8. Have I told you about the fruit sticker collection I had growing up?  Well... every time I ate a piece of fruit with a sticker I would peel off the sticker and stick it to the underside of the corner kitchen cabinet.  Yeah, great for the wood and a wonderful visual appeal.  My goal was to cover the entire underside of the cabinet.  Even though I stopped adding to the collection, I left the stickers there for years.  I believe it was high school or maybe even college before I finally attempted to peel them all off.  Don't look at the underside of the corner cabinet.

9. Why, why, why do I tell you these things?

Food for Thought: "If you are interested, you never have to look for new interests. They come to you. When you are genuinely interested in one thing, it will always lead to something else." -Eleanor Roosevelt 

No comments:

Post a Comment