Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Weird Recipe Wednesday: Mushroom Salsa with Wonton Chips

Weird Recipe Wednesday: Because some recipes are so weird I just HAVE to try them.  My curiosity always gets the better of me.



Mushrooms in salsa? I hadn't heard of it either until I saw it on this blog and traced it back to the Muy Bueno Cookbook.  I know it sounds weird, but this is a kind of weird that really works.  Somewhere between seeing this idea and actually making salsa, my mind jumped from jalapeno and lime to the flavors of Asian food.  I'm not even going to try and trace that one back, I must have been on a mushrooms tangent.  So, yes, mushroom salsa with Asian flavors.


I was a little worried about the texture of the mushrooms and thought I might have to saute everything first rather than leaving it raw.  Wait, won't that just give me finely chopped stir-fry?  Because I know you think of stir-fry when you envision salsa.  I'm great at reading minds.  Oh, and I'm never randomly side-tracked or sarcastic.  Are you still with me, because I'm a little lost.  Let's start over.


Marinating our mushrooms in rice vinegar and soy sauce creates a texture somewhere in-between raw and cooked mushrooms.  Pair that with the crisp crunch of fresh green pepper and you have what can best be described as, well, mushroom salsa.  Green onions add flavor without being overbearing.  Sesame oil provides the nutty undertones characteristic of Asian cuisine.  Don't even try to leave it out or use a different oil.


Remember when I was playing with wonton wrappers?  These versatile dough sheets are also ideal for making chips in snap.  Baking the wrappers for just 5 minutes turns them into crunchy chips perfect for dipping.  They're light yet sturdy, allowing you to munch away without a second thought.  Combine these crispy triangles with mushroom salsa and you may need a reminder about sharing.


The variations running though my head are endless, but I won't bore you with any more details.   Mushroom salsa mingles with Asian-inspired flavors atop crispy wonton chips.


Mushroom Salsa with Wonton Chips

Ingredients:
8 oz button mushrooms, finely diced
1/2 medium green bell pepper, finely diced
4 green onions, thinly sliced (white and green portions)
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1 Tbsp rice vinegar
1-1/2 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp sesame oil

wonton wrappers (egg roll wrappers should also work)
cooking spray
salt

Instructions:
* In a medium bowl combine mushrooms, onion, green pepper and garlic.  Stir in rice vinegar, soy sauce and sesame oil; toss to combine.  Cover and chill several hours to develop flavors.  Serve with wonton chips. (instructions follow)

For the wonton chips:
* Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Coat a baking tray with nonstick cooking spray. Cut wonton wrappers into desired shapes and place on prepared tray. Spray tops with nonstick cooking spray and sprinkle with salt. Bake 4-5 minutes or until golden brown.


Food for Thought: "Don't look further for answers: be the solution. You were born with everything you need to know. Make a promise to stop getting in the way of the blessing that you are. Take a deep breath, remember to have fun, and begin." -Johnathan H. Ellerby

No comments:

Post a Comment