Thursday, February 28, 2013

Thursday's Thoughts: Mind Reset

Thursday's Thoughts: a taste of what I'm thinking

The more often you repeat something the more likely it is to stick in your mind. I mentioned a while back that I'm participating in a scripture memory group this year which involves memorizing two Bible verses a month.  I was enthusiastic and persistent in January with my first two verses.  I kept a card out where I could see it and worked on the verse most days.  Today is the last day of February and honestly I haven't done nearly as well this month on my next two verses.

Committing something to memory involves mindfulness, repetition, persistence and frequency.  It does not just happen by osmosis.  I looked at my verses a few times this month, but didn't put in as much effort as I did in January.  Ideally I'd be committing the new verses to memory as well as reviewing the past ones.

  Whether it's studying for a test or memorizing verses, repetition has always worked for me.  But in order for that to work, I have to actually do it not just think about it.  Good intention must be followed by action.  So, in order to get these verses into my head in as many ways as possible, I'm going to type them out for today's post.  Here are the verses I've chosen so far, starting with the most recent.

Those who live by the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires, but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires.  The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace. -Romans 8:5-6

But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere.  -James 3:17

He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your fathers had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord. -Deuteronomy 8:3

Whatever is pure, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is true, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy- think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me- put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you. -Philippians 4:8-9

Food for Thought: "The difference between try and triumph is just a little umph." -Author unknown (possibly Marvin Phillips)


No comments:

Post a Comment