Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Random Recipe Wednesday: Gingered Carrot-Pineapple Slaw


I have a stack of old magazines lingering in my room.  And by lingering I mean collecting dust.  Don't get me wrong, I read them cover to cover multiple times, but when the pile is literally knee-deep it's time to do some recycling.  About a third of these magazines are food magazines.  I decided (again) to page through them just one more time before tossing them for good.


I found it interesting to see how food trends have changed over the years.  Based on the recipes you can tell what the latest fad diet or health craze was at the time.  Some of them seem so silly looking back.  To be fair some of the recipes were also ahead of their time and are just now becoming trendy.  Anyway, with a little clipping and ripping my stack is on its way from knee-deep to finger-high.


I tore out some recipes purely for inspiration.  This carrot salad caught my attention as it turns the ingredients in carrot cake to a sweet coleslaw.  I went my own way and ditched the coconut and walnuts, then added some cabbage candied ginger.  I like the idea of a carrot-ginger salad with pineapple, but it didn't turn out quite as I envisioned.  Run-of-the-mill weekday fare, but not something I'd serve to company or get excited about.  Fresh pineapple would bump it up a notch as would a thicker dressing.  Using both fresh and candied ginger provided a nice flavor, but something was still missing.  Rather than give it another go and end up with leftovers galore, I decided to just leave it be.  I'll still type up the measurements I used in hopes that it sparks some inspiration of your own.

Gingered Carrot-Pineapple Slaw

Ingredients:
3 cups packed finely shredded cabbage
3 cups packed shredded carrots
1 (20 oz) can crushed pineapple, undrained (finely chopped fresh pineapple would be even better)
1/2 cup mixed raisins and golden raisins
2 Tbsp finely chopped candied ginger
2 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
1 cup plain fat-free yogurt
1 tsp lemon juice, or to taste

Instructions:
* In a large bowl toss together cabbage and carrots.  Stir in pineapple, raisins, candied ginger, fresh ginger, yogurt and lemon juice.  Toss until evenly coated.  Cover and chill 1 hour before seasoning to taste with additional lemon juice.


Food for Thought: "Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson 

No comments:

Post a Comment